Friday, November 18, 2011

The beauty secrets of a lazy bum.

The idea of me giving anyone beauty advice makes me giggle because I am such a lazy bum when it comes to getting all gussied up. Nevertheless, I will impart whatever wisdom I have picked up. In no specific order:


  1. I believe that healthy is beautiful. So taking care of your health is the first step towards looking and feeling your best. If I have good skin, I think it has more to do with the fact that I avoid tobacco,  alcohol and caffeine, than with what I put on my skin. Similarly, I think that my hair looks best when I try to keep it healthy by keeping my ends trimmed and not using a lot of heat or products in it. 
  2. Get your eyebrows professionally shaped at least once in your life. I'm a pretty faithful waxer, and like to get mine done about every six weeks. At least, ideally. I feel like it really helps me look more awake, and frames my eyes. Your eyes probably get the most attention of any of your facial features so you may as well make the most of them, right? Even if you are capable of grooming your own eyebrows at home, seeing a professional can help you learn new techniques or gain some new perspectives on how to look your best.
  3. Make the most of your best features - but not all at once. Personally, I like my eyes, my lips and my cheekbones. For every day makeup I like to keep my eyes and lips very simple (lip balm and mascara), but draw a bit more attention to my cheeks with blush. If I'm feeling a bit dressier, I might use a gold eyeshadow to play up my eyes a bit, or I might emphasize my lips with shiny, red lip gloss (yay!). But can you imagine what I'd look like if I did all three at once? Probably a bit like I fell headfirst into the MAC counter. Some people can pull off that look, but for the rest of us mere mortals, there is something to be said for the elegance found in simplicity. 
  4. Keep a secondary beauty stash. Somewhere you'll use it. A lot of women keep makeup for touchups in their purse, I keep a drawer in the downstairs bathroom. That way, when I need to "powder my nose," I can take a few seconds to powder my nose or brush my hair or whatever I need to. For a lazy person like me, not having to schlep all the way up to my own bathroom where I keep the bulk of my girly stuff can make all the difference in trying to look my best. 
  5. Beauty really does start within. Think kind, beautiful, generous thoughts. Give unselfishly. Smile as genuinely and as much as you possibly can. Love, and allow yourself to be loved. Find the beauty in the world and the people around you. Find happiness. There are few things more beautiful than a person who has learned to do these things. 
Personally, I think I am prettiest when I am happy.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...