Monday, April 25, 2011

Ever After.

In honor of The Royal Wedding in the UK this week, we are getting all starry-eyed and dreamy here at MHHT as we talk about weddings. We have a lovely guest blogger (of mystery!) on Wednesday, followed by Maddy (our girl on the ground in England) who will be posting this weekend, after Kate and Prince William (over there in the photo) have tied the knot so she can give us an update on how the festivities went down. But first, it's my turn to ramble on a bit about weddings.

On July 29, 1981, Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer. This was also the day I decided to take my first steps. As the story goes, my family was all in the kitchen, getting some snacks ready to hunker down in front of the television for the royal wedding, when they suddenly heard that is was starting. Everyone rushed in to the living room, and in their excitement, left 12 month old me sitting on the floor in the kitchen. No one was there to witness the grand event, but this is when I decided to haul my little self up off the floor and toddle in after them to see what was going on.

Almost 30 years later, Charles and Diana's son William is getting married. And I find that I can't help but wonder if this Friday will be the day that my own son decides to take his very first steps as I rush for the television in a strange case of history repeating itself.

As a society, we tend to look at things backwards when it comes to weddings. We think of them as happy endings, sort of a grand finale to a courtship. Fairytales and movies always end with a wedding, rather than begin with one, and so we tend to see weddings as a culminating event. We get so caught up in the dress and the flowers and the ring, that we forget one vital little detail:

"Happily ever after" is just the beginning.

Nick and I taking our first steps together. It's a long way down!

Should he decide to walk this coming Friday, William and Kate will have more in common with my little boy than just a weird date coincidence. As Espen takes his first shaky steps towards walking, they will taking their first steps together as husband and wife. It will be fun, exciting and exhilarating, and they won't have any idea what they're doing. For Espen, there will be falls, bumps and bruises until he gets things figured out. The beginning of a marriage is much the same as you learn to adjust to living your life together. There will be bruised egos, a few shattered ideals and some little stumbles along the way. There will be moments when all you want to do is sit down and cry like a baby because this whole walking/marriage thing is harder than it looks, and you want so much to get it right. And there will be many, many moments of pure, exultant joy where you just want to shout out to the world how happy you are.

And before I close, a quick peek at another royal wedding: Princess Victoria of Sweden and her Daniel. Oh, how I wish the entire planet could experience the kind of joy and love that you can see in her face. Gets me every time.



Image borrowed here.

2 comments:

Anne said...

So true! I always laugh grimly at "happy endings" in films (after wiping my eyes and blowing my nose) and say " Yes, but that's only the beginning!"
Well written as usual, Tam, and yes, Yictoria is the happiest bride I've ever seen. Their wedding was pure magic!

Marta Becerril said...

I loved this post... coincidences are awesome too, just like our birthdays :) But really, very nice analogy to draw about marriage, and that video really shows a happiness that can't be faked or acted out. It gives me chills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...