Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reading Right Now: What's on my nightstand

Seeing as we are both pretty avid readers, we thought we would take a look at what we're both currently reading by utilizing the age-old test of "what's on your nightstand". Or bedside table, should you be so inclined.

While Maddy is a six-books-at-at-time kind of a girl, I'm more of a start-to-finisher. So I was thinking that a visit to my reading stash would be quick, boring and consist of essentially one book title. But, not so! It seems I have all kinds of reading material going on:



Top to bottom:
The Tale of Genji, by Murasaki Shikibu. It seems that there is part of my brain that is still in college. This part of my brain is almost solely responsible for choosing the books I read, and we both (my brain and I) consider reading as a way to continue my education on my own. That is why I'm reading the Tale of Genji, a book written in Japan in the 11th century. It's generally considered to be the first novel ever written, and tells the story of a young prince, Genji, his life and his many (many) romantic adventures. Because it was written before there were any real rules about how a novel should read and what they should look like, the structure of the story gets a little weird in places. The writing-style can also be a bit dense, seeing as the translation works hard to get the feel of the original, 1000 year old Japanese language across. However, that part of my brain we mentioned is enjoying something to wrestle with, and I'm enjoying the story.

A Girl Named Zippy, by Haven Kimmel. My good friend Caren, who has excellent taste in just about everything, recommended this for book club this month, and I am so glad she did. I probably wouldn't have picked A Girl Named Zippy up by myself, but ended up really enjoying it. It's a very funny, very sweet memoir about growing up in small-town USA in the 1960s and 70s. I started reading it one night after we had gone to bed, and had to stop because I kept waking Nick up with my giggling. I'd recommend this to just about anyone. And then I'd return it to the library, like I should have when I finished it three days ago.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. Hands down and easily one of the best books I have read in years. Thought-provoking, haunting, touching, just an amazing book. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is non-fiction, but tells one of the most incredible stories I have ever read, all about a woman who died of cancer in the 1950, and then went on to change the world.

The Book of Mormon. In Norwegian. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and try to make scripture study a part of my every day life. This year my husband, Nick, and I are trying to read the Book of Mormon together in Norwegian, which is tricky, seeing as we're usually both so exhausted at bedtime that all we want to do is sleep. We will persevere.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth, M.D. I swear this book has quite literally saved our lives by showing us how to teach Espen to sleep well (12 hours a night!). I keep it by my bed to stay current on changes in his sleep habits as he gets older, and for advice on how to address any bumps along the way.

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, Birth to Age 5, Steven P. Shelov, MD, MS, FAAP. Another one I keep on hand to refer to as Espen hits a new developmental stage, or if I have any questions or concerns.

On the left:

Real Simple Magazine. Goodness, how I love this magazine. I've been reading it since I was in college, and attribute at least half of my domestic successes to it.

On the right:

Fortellingene om Teskjekjerringa, by Alf Prøysen. A collection of children's stories about Mrs. Pepperpot that Nick and I bought the last time we were in Norway, when I was pregnant with Espen.

Den Røde Sangboka. A Norwegian song book. What is this doing here? Was I planning to serenade Nick in bed? Who knows.

And that's it's for me! Check back for Maddy's reading list later this week, and if you have any great book recommendations, please let us know!

1 comment:

Tana said...

Good list. Makes me want to read them or recommend them--except the Norwegian stuff. It's all Greek to me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...